If your goal is to build muscle by supplementing your diet with a pure protein source, whey protein isolate is likely your primary choice in today’s market. Protein isolate is simply protein that has been isolated from the lactose, milk fat and other natural components of whey concentrate.
Whey concentrate is a natural byproduct of the cheese-making process and contains variable amounts of protein mixed with lactose and milk fat. When that concentrate is filtered to separate the protein from the lactose and fat, pure protein isolate is created.
Many bodybuilders and weightlifters consider whey protein isolates superior to concentrates because they contain more protein with less lactose, calories and fat. Isolates are considered purer since these other nutritional components have been eliminated in order to isolate just the protein. This is why whey protein isolate powders typically contain more protein per serving than powders created with whey protein concentrate.
You can buy whey protein isolate powder in 1-5 pound tubs, but you also have the option of buying bulk whey protein isolate. These packages typically contain more than 5 pounds of protein isolate. Not all protein powder manufacturers offer bulk packages, so you do reduce your shopping choices when you shop for bulk packages rather than smaller packages.
Potential Downsides to Whey Protein Isolate
While a supplement containing pure whey protein sounds like a great thing for post-workout snacks, there are a couple things to keep in mind when comparing whey isolate and whey concentrate powders.
1. If your focus is on consuming whole, natural foods, whey concentrate may actually be a better pick. Whey goes through additional processing in order to create isolates, so concentrates are a more natural, less-processed product. They may not contain as much protein, but you can look at the percentage of protein contained in a powder. The best whey protein concentrate powders are at least 80% protein. Lower percentages signify lower-quality protein powders that may not contain the high-quality protein you need to build muscle.
2. Since whey concentrate contains milk fat, lactose and other nutrients, it can potentially help boost your immune system and improve your overall health. Whey isolate contains only the protein, so you don’t get added health benefits from those powders.
3. Some of the natural peptides contained in whey are lost through the filtering process when whey isolate is created. Some use this to classify whey isolate as an inferior protein source to whey concentrate.
4. Whey protein isolate contains less lactose, fat, calories and carbohydrates than whey concentrate. This is why it is preferred by many people with weight loss or fat burning goals. Those concerned more about overall nutrient content may prefer whey concentrate.
Whey isolate is still generally accepted as the preferred source of pure protein for anyone interested in building muscle or gaining weight in a healthy manner. You have to consider your health and fitness goals when deciding whether to search for the best whey protein isolate on the market or to consider some high-quality whey concentrate protein powders as well.
Why Buy Bulk Whey Protein Isolate?
You may want to purchase a smaller package of a particular whey isolate powder before investing in the bulk-sized package. This ensures that the powder sits well on your stomach and you enjoy the texture and taste before making a larger financial investment. Once you find a whey protein isolate that meets your needs and pleases your taste buds, there are a few reasons you may want to buy it in bulk:
1. You can often get a better deal when you buy in bulk. If you are shopping on a budget, you may be able to purchase a higher-quality protein powder when you buy it in bulk. If nothing else, you don’t have to pay for it as often, so it is easier to save up for it if your budget is very tight.
2. You don’t have to worry about purchasing your protein powder as often. You buy more at once so that your supply lasts longer.
3. If multiple people are using your protein powder, a bulk supply will last longer. It is frustrating to find that you are out of protein isolate because someone else has been using it without replenishing your supply.
4. You don’t enjoy shopping. You want to find one high-quality whey protein isolate, stock up on it, and forget about it. It is easier to stock up with a few bulk packages than with an endless supply of 1 or 3-pound tubs. You may also want to buy more in bulk if you are putting your protein isolate away in case of emergency.
Top Bulk Whey Protein Isolate Supplements
Now Foods Whey Protein Isolate – 10 Pound Mega Pack
Now Foods unflavored whey protein isolate is one of the best whey protein isolate powders currently on the market. You can use it for pre and post-workout shakes, between-meal snacks, or you can use it to make protein powder pancakes, cookies and other delicious treats. Each scoop contains 25 grams of protein, 110 calories, and less than 1 gram of carbohydrate and fat. A 10-pound delivery of this powder will keep your shaker cup stocked for a long time.
IDS Multi-Pro Whey Isolate Protein – 10 Pound Tub
This 10-pound tub will last a long time, even if you have multiple people using the powder. The powder is “pre-digested” which means that it has gone through additional processing to ensure that it blends easily into milk, water, juice or other liquids. If you are using a shaker cup or blender this may not matter, but it does make a difference if you want to quickly mix it into a liquid and get on with your day. You can choose from a variety of flavors, including Vanilla Cinnamon and Vanilla Cake.
If you like the IDS brand, you can also buy the IDS Smart Gainer protein powder in a 10-pound tub. This is not a pure whey isolate product, but it is another option for bulk whey protein powder.