Optimum Nutrition is one of the most commonly used brands of protein powder in the weightlifting and bodybuilding industry. If you visit forums dedicated to bodybuilding, you will see many references to Optimum Nutrition (OP) products, but that doesn’t mean the brand is always the best option. Read this Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey review to determine if it is the best option for your health and fitness goals.
OP Gold Standard Whey Includes Hydro Whey Peptides
What is hydro whey, and what makes it different from standard whey isolates used in most protein powders?
Hydro is a shortened form of hydrolyzed, which refers to a process used to reduce the size of the protein.
Smaller protein granules are faster to process inside your body, so they make their way into your bloodstream faster than standard whey isolates.
Faster absorption into your bloodstream means faster aid to tired, sore muscles that need to recover, repair, and grow after an intense workout.
Hydro whey products have become quite popular with people interested in gaining muscle.
Protein Powder Perks: Why Use OP Gold Standard?
The biggest perk to using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey is the pure protein included in every serving. There are quite a few other perks to consider as well:
- You can select from a nice selection of flavors, including cake batter, banana cream, and chocolate coconut. Rather than just offering chocolate, Optimum Nutrition offers a variety of chocolate flavors.
- You can buy as much or as little as you want. Select from 1, 3, 5, and 10 pound tubs.
- 5.5 grams of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) in every serving.
- 4 grams of glutamine/glutamine acid per serving.
- Each serving contains only 120 calories, 1 gram of fat and 3 grams of carbohydrates.
- Includes hydro whey peptides for faster absorption into the bloodstream.
- Instant formula can be quickly mixed up with only a spoon.
OP Gold Standard products are most commonly praised for the high purity of the protein sources. You will see below that price is sometimes a concern of consumers, but reread this list of perks and remember the high quality of the product before you decide it is not worth the price.
Protein Powder Problems: What You should Know about OP Gold Standard
No Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey review would be complete without full disclosure of potential problems with the product. There are few complaints lodged against this whey protein powder, but there are two things you need to know before deciding if it is right for you:
- This is not the cheapest whey protein powder on the market, but it is competitively priced with some of the leading brands. You can find discounted prices through Amazon that make the 5 pound tub quite affordable.
- Some users do not enjoy the taste of this brand because it is not as sweet as many others. This is actually a good thing because the lack of sweetness comes from minimal use of artificial sweeteners. It doesn’t taste bad, but it isn’t incredibly sweet.
If price is a concern, shop online for discounts. If you can pick up a 10 pound tub or even a couple of them when you find a steep discount, you won’t have to buy anymore for quite some time. If the sweetness factor concerns you, consider adding a healthy sweetener of you choice to your shakes. This actually allows you to create the perfect sweetness for your taste buds.
Who Should Use OP Gold Standard Protein Powder?
Due to the inclusion of hydro whey, this is an ideal protein powder for after-workout shakes. Whey protein is already absorbed into the bloodstream faster than standard whey isolates, but the inclusion of hydro whey makes the process even faster. Since the powder is also low in calories, fat and carbohydrates, it is a good option if your goals include fat and weight loss.